Improving Employee Health & Safety in California Schools
Since 2010, the UCLA-LOSH Program has participated in the School Action for Safety and Health (SASH) Training Program.
This statewide initiative is funded by the Commission on Health and Safety and Workers’ Compensation (CHSWC) to help California K-12 school districts reduce the high rate of work-related injuries and illnesses among school employees.
What Does The SASH Program Offer?
1. A FREE, one-day training course to help build the capacity of district-level health and safety coordinators to be resources to other school employees and develop an Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) to identify, prevent and eliminate hazards.
2. Written materials that support injury and illness prevention.
3. Problem-solving assistance provided by a statewide SASH Program’s Resource Center.
Southern California SASH Training Courses
UCLA-LOSH staff facilitate the SASH IIPP training courses throughout Southern California. Participants receive a certificate and a course binder complete with factsheets, tools, occupation-specific tip sheets, a guidebook for writing an IIPP, and other health and safety school resources. For more information on participating or hosting a FREE SASH IIPP training course, contact Environmental Career Worker Training Project Coordinator, Yodit Semu at email@example.com.
LOSH: UCLA Labor Occupational Safety & Health
Wednesday, November 23, 2021 – 10:00AM -12:30PM PST: FULL
Wednesday, December 07, 2021 – 10:00AM -12:30PM PST
Contact: Yodit at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
LOHP: UC Berkeley Labor Occupational Health Program
All Dates Flyer (Classes will now be 2.5 hours instead of 4 hours)
Wednesday, November 17, 2021 – 8:30AM -11:00AM PST
Contact: Rosa at email@example.com if you have any questions.
The SASH Program offers a variety of free written materials to help school employees identify and address health and safety issues in the school environment. Materials are available for California and national schools. Visit our SASH publications page to view and download the materials.
Fact Sheets for SASH Coordinators
- A. Overview of the School Action for Safety and Health (SASH) Program
- B. Effective Health and Safety Programs: Developing Your Injury and Illness Prevention Program
- C. Basics of Cal/OSHA
- D. Key Cal/OSHA Standards That Apply To Schools
- E. Preparing for Emergencies at School
- F. Elements of an Effective Workers’ Compensation Program
- G. Underlying Causes of Injury and Illness
- H. Job Hazards in Schools
- I. Addressing Ergonomic Hazards
- J. Investigating Job Hazards
- K. Prioritizing Health and Safety Problems
- L. Controlling Hazards
- M. Making the Case for Safety
- N. Health and Safety Committees
Tools for SASH Coordinators
Tipsheets for School Employees
- 1. Teaching in a Safe Classroom: A Health and Safety Tip Sheet for Teachers and Paraeducators
- 2. Preventing And Preparing For An Active Shooter Incident: A Factsheet For School Employees
- 3. Maintaining Safety: A Health and Safety Tip Sheet for School Maintenance Staff
- 4. Grounds for a Safe School: A Health and Safety Tip Sheet for School Groundskeepers
- 5. Serving Up Safety: A Health and Safety Tip Sheet for School Food Service Employees
- 6. Custodians of Safety: A Health and Safety Tip Sheet for School Custodians
- 7. Safety at the Center of It All: A Health and Safety Tip Sheet for School Administrative and Office Staff
- 8. Driving Home Safety: A Health and Safety Tip Sheet for School Bus Drivers
CPP & IIPP Guide and Template for SASH Coordinators
Health and Safety Resources for School Districts
- California’s Commission on Health and Safety and Workers’ Compensation (CHSWC) SASH Training Program
- SASH training course binder
- SASH Factsheet for School Employees: Preventing and Preparing for an Active Shooter Incident
- SASH Tip Sheet for California Paraeducators: Preventing Injuries from Student Behaviors
- SASH Green Cleaning Webinar
- Active Shooter Awareness Training for Schools Webinar
- SASH Online Health and Safety Resource Guide for School Employees
- Guidance for Schools During Wildfire Smoke Events by California’s EPA Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment
- Green Cleaning for Schools – Healthy Green Schools & Colleges
- NIOSH Tools for Assessing Dampness and Mold for Schools and General Buildings
- Cleaning for Asthma-Safe Schools (CLASS) by the California Department of Public Health
- A Plan to Safely Reopen America’s Schools and Communities (in the age of COVID-19) by the American Federation of Teachers
- COVID-19 Industry Guidance: Schools and School-Based Programs by the California Department of Public Health
For more information about SASH, contact Environmental Career Worker Training Project Coordinator, Yodit Semu at firstname.lastname@example.org.